Legal services programs should be fully funded.
Congress and the Legal Services Corporation (LSC) should improve and strengthen LSC services. This includes:
- establishing a national clearinghouse for legal services;
- developing and maintaining state and federal support and training centers;
- ensuring that LSC is not restricted from receiving attorneys’ fees;
- removing restrictions on lobbying for indigent clients’ rights, bringing class action suits, the types of low-income clients who can receive assistance, the types of issues LSC lawyers can address, and the use of private funds for providing legal assistance;
- ensuring a fair, competitive bidding process for grants;
- improving grant oversight of LSC grantees; and
- providing funding targeted to institutionalized people with low incomes and those in board and care homes who can be served only through specially designed outreach programs.